In light of our highly mobile society, it is not surprising that one parent may want or need to move with his or her minor child leaving the other parent behind. The reason may be for new job opportunity for a parent or their new spouse. Depending on the distance involved, it may require adjusting the time sharing between the parents by hours, days, or even months.

In Florida, the legislature has determined that child relocation under statute involves a move beyond 50 miles from the existing residence for more than 60 days, not including time away for vacation, education or medical treatment. If the move meets this criteria one must either have the written agreement of the other parent to move, or they must ask the Court’s permission to do so. Relocating without that permission and without a Court order can result in dire circumstances including being held in contempt of court and being forced to return the children. That conduct may also be taken into account in any subsequent proceedings when the Court is determining whether the move is to be permitted or in restructuring time sharing between the parents.

Link to part 2 of Moving with your minor children

About Richard Knellinger

The Law Office of Knellinger, Jacobson & Associates provides legal advice and representation for individuals, entrepreneurs, and business owners in Gainesville, Florida, and communities throughout north central Florida, including cities such as Ocala, Starke, Palatka, Lake City, Middleburg, Trenton, Bronson, Lake Butler, Cross City, Williston, Chiefland, Alachua, Jasper, Live Oak, and Jacksonville, Florida.

Alachua County ● Putnam County ● Clay County ● Bradford County ● Union County ● Columbia County ● Gilchrist County ● Levy County ● Marion County ● Hamilton County ● St. Johns County ● Dixie County